What are Volunteer Stations?
Volunteer stations are public agencies, private, secular or faith-based non-profit organizations, or proprietary health care organizations that accept the responsibility for assignment and supervision of Foster Grandparents in health, education, social service, or related settings (such as hospitals, homes for dependent and neglected children, or similar establishments). Each volunteer station must be licensed or otherwise certified, when required, by the appropriate state or local government. Private homes are not volunteer stations (CNCS, 2008).
How can your site become a Volunteer Station?
Contact Dr. Shanetta Weatherspoon, Executive Director, at Shanetta.Weatherspoon@pepperdine.edu or (310) 568-5798. The requirements for volunteer stations are as follows:
- Must be a public agency, secular-, school- or faith-based private, non-profit organization, or proprietary healthcare organization
- Must be willing to serve as a supervisor to Foster Grandparents in health, education, social service, or related settings such as hospitals, homes for dependent and neglected children, or similar establishments
- Must have a requirement to serve need-based communities
- Cannot be a private home
- Must be willing to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- Must have the administrative and/or fiscal capability to provide a meal to the Foster Grandparents during onsite service
- Must be willing to complete monthly and/or quarterly compliance forms.
Our current Volunteer Stations
- Mount Saint Mary's Child Development Center – Los Angeles (link - http://www.msmu.edu/undergraduate-bachelor-programs/child-development/child-development-center.aspx)
- Wayfinder Family Services – Los Angeles (link - https://www.wayfinderfamily.org/)
- Shields for Families – Genesis, Exodus, Healthy Start, and St. Lawrence Programs, Los Angeles/Lynwood/Compton (link - https://www.shieldsforfamilies.org)
- Normandie Christian School – Los Angeles (link - http://www.normandiechristian.org/)
- Girls Club of Los Angeles – Los Angeles (link - https://www.girlsclubla.org/)
- Children's Institute Inc. – Torrance/Los Angeles (link - http://www.childrensinstitute.org/)
- The Accelerated School – Los Angeles (link - http://www.accelerated.org/)
- Watts Learning Center – Los Angeles (link - http://www.wattslearningcenter.org/)
- Harbor Hills Housing Development After School Program – Lomita (link - https://www.hacola.org/public-housing/resident-services-program-(rsp))
- The Jeffrey Foundation – Los Angeles (link - http://www.thejeffreyfoundation.org/)
- Drew Child Development Corporation – Compton/Los Angeles (link - http://drewcdc.org/)
- Hooper Primary Center – Los Angeles (link - https://hooperpc-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com/)
- Teach Tech Charter High School – Los Angeles (link - https://tech.teachpublicschools.org/)
- Inner City Education Foundation Public Schools – Los Angeles (link - https://www.icefps.org/)
- Hoover Intergenerational Care, Inc. – Los Angeles (link - https://www.hooverintergenerationalchildcare.org/)
- The Salvation Army – Los Angeles (link - https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/)
- USC Kinder 2 College – Los Angeles (link - https://communities.usc.edu/kinder-2-college/)
- Foundation for Early Childhood Education, Inc. – Los Angeles/El Monte/Boyle Heights (link - http://www.foundationheadstart.org/)
- Today's Fresh Start Charter Schools – Los Angeles/Inglewood/Vernon/Compton (link - https://www.todaysfreshstart.org/)