Become a Volunteer
Pepperdine University's Foster Grandparent Program (FGP) welcomes low-income senior adults, ages 55 and over, to assist us in spreading our mission of service, purpose, and leadership. Our volunteers are mentors, tutors, and supporters of at-risk children with special needs or circumstances. Foster Grandparents work in designated volunteer stations in schools, child day care centers, head start classes and after school clubs.
Fosters Grandparents are service-driven individuals who:
- Love children and the community
- Are 55 years of age or older
- Are in good health
- Can successfully complete a background check
- Do not have an annual income, from all sources, exceeding the income eligibility guideline for the state in which he or she resides (Current income eligibility levels – including high-cost areas – are posted at the Senior Corps Web site, www.seniorcorps.gov, and are also available by contacting the Corporation State Office).
Foster Grandparents must meet all FBI and state background requirements and complete an application and a New Volunteer Orientation prior to placement at one of our volunteer stations.
Benefits of Being a Volunteer
As a Foster Grandparent, you receive a non-taxable hourly stipend, transportation reimbursement, monthly specialized training, and the opportunity to form lasting friendships with other volunteers—in addition to the satisfaction of knowing that you are providing a caring, positive influence in the lives of children.
- Serve as a mentor, tutor and caregiver for children who need extra support
- Use life experiences in providing assistance, support, love and companionship
- Work one-on-one or in small groups under the supervision of trained professional staff
- Help children develop the skills, confidence and strength to succeed in life
- Volunteer 5 to 40 hours each week
Ready to apply?
Contact Monica Pereda, Administrative Coordinator, at Monica.Pereda@pepperdine.edu or (310) 568-5596. You can also fill out the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible.