GSEP Recognizes Dr. Weatherspoon and the Foster Grandparent Program
Pepperdine GSEP is recognizing Dr. Shanetta Weatherspoon for her achievements as the Executive Director for Pepperdine University’s Foster Grandparent Program.
The Foster Grandparent Program (FGP) at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education and Psychology is a community volunteer program where seniors are connected to youths (infancy to 21 years old) with exceptional needs or circumstances as foster grandparents. These foster grandparents serve as mentors, tutors, and friends to children across the Los Angeles area. FGP has been proudly bringing seniors and children together to create caring, positive, and influential relationships for almost 50 years in the community.
Dr. Weatherspoon joined the Foster Grandparent Program in 2015 as Executive Director. During her time, she has expanded the program exponentially due to her leadership, vision, and passion.
- Growing the number of senior volunteers from 84 to 168
- Increasing the number of community and station partnerships from 20 to over 100
- Doubling the service planning areas to cover Los Angeles’ largest urban areas
- Reaching $1,000,000 in funding
- Being featured on the Kelly Clarkson Show and LA Sentinel
- Providing all senior volunteers with essential supplies twice during the Stay-at-Home quarantine with a third-round scheduled
Dr. Weatherspoon is extremely passionate about the FGP because as a young troubled youth she benefited from a senior community member, Ms. Wilson while growing up in Watts (i.e. a small urban area of South Central, Los Angeles).
“I was a troubled child with low self-esteem and behavior problems. My foster grandparent made us feel safe, encouraged us, and told us we were more than our circumstances. If I did not have foster grandparents like them, I would not be who I am today.” -Dr. Shanetta Weatherspoon, Executive Director - Foster Grandparent Program
Pepperdine GSEP is honoring Dr. Weatherspoon for her achievements in the October 12th edition in the Los Angeles Business Journal.
Learn more about the Foster Grandparent Program.