Reyna García Ramos
Dr. García Ramos teaches in the MAT and doctoral programs at GSEP and leads the university chapter of the California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE). Her focus is on addressing the widening academic gap of English learners in California's public school system, in part by establishing university-school partnerships that allow future teachers extensive learning experiences with English learner youth in communities.
Dr. García Ramos worked in bilingual classrooms in the Los Angeles Unified School District and Goleta Unified School District. As a community educator/organizer, she helped design culturally relevant curricula for Spanish-speaking immigrants and supervised instructors to deliver ESL, literacy, and civics instruction. She was Director of Legislative Affairs for CABE and Secretary for two Special Interest Groups in the American Educational Research Association.
Areas of Research Interest
Teacher Preparation, Teaching and Learning, Language Development, Multicultural and Multilingual Students.
- PhD, University of California, Santa Barbara
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- CCTE Distinguished Teacher Educator, 2012
- Pomona Goddess Award for Community Service, 2007
- Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence, 2007
- Women of the Year Unsung Heroine Award, 2004