GSEP Faculty Directory
Miguel E. Gallardo, PsyD
Professor and Director, Aliento
PsyD, California School of Professional Psychology; BS, Texas Christian University
Dr. Gallardo is a Professor of Psychology and Director of Aliento, The Center for Latina/o Communities. He maintains an independent/consultation practice where he conducts therapy, forensic/legal-medical assessments, and consults with organizations and universities on developing culturally responsive systems. He teaches courses on Latina/o mental health, multicultural and social justice, intimate partner violence and professional practice issues.
Dr. Gallardo's areas of scholarship and research interests include understanding the psychotherapy process when working with ethnocultural communities, particularly the Latina/o community and in understanding the processes by which individuals develop cultural awareness and responsiveness. Dr. Gallardo has published refereed journal articles, books, and book chapters in the areas of multicultural psychology, Latina/o psychology, ethics and evidence-based practices, cultural humility, and racial colorblindness. He is currently a Series Editor for Cognella Academic Press' Advances in Culture, Race, and Ethnicity book series.
Dr. Gallardo is currently Director of Research and Evaluation for the Multiethnic Collaborative of Community Agencies (MECCA), a non-profit organization dedicated to serving monolingual Arab, Farsi, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Spanish speaking communities.
Dr. Gallardo is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association. Dr. Gallardo served 6 years as a Governor appointed Licensed Board Member on the California Board of Psychology.
- PSY 674: Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Health Disorders: Latina/o Emphasis
- PSY 642: Mental Health Systems, Practice, and Advocacy
- PSY 622: Multicultural Counseling
- PSY 662: Clinical Practicum
- PSY 705: Sociocultural Foundations of Behavior
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychological Assocation Office of Ethnic Minority Affairs
- California Latino Psychological Association
- California Psychological Association
- National Council of La Raza
- National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials
- National Latina/o Psychological Association
- Orange County Psychological Association
- The Ignacio Martin-Baro Fund for Mental Health and Human Rights