GSEP Faculty Directory
Kfir Mordechay, PhD
PhD, University of California, Los Angeles; MA, University of California, Los Angeles; BA, San Franscisco State University
Dr. Kfir Mordechay's research focuses on examining issues of residential and school segregation and of racial and socioeconomic disparities in academic achievement and educational success. He has published policy reports and articles on topics including metropolitan and neighborhood demographic trends, social and urban policy, and race and immigration in U.S. society. His current research looks at inequality, gentrification, and segregation in American cities and schools and the role of policy in shaping equitable educational opportunities. Kfir's previous work explored the ways in which The Great Recession impacted urban communities and schools across Southern California.
Mordechay works with the UCLA Civil Rights Project as a research affiliate. He received his Ph.D. in Education from The University of California, Los Angeles.
- 753: Advanced Policy Development
- 765: Organizational Leadership
- 699: Special Topics
- Mordechay, K. & Alfaro, C. (Forthcoming, 2018). The Binational Context of the Students We Share: What Do Educators on Both Sides of the Border Need to Know? Kappa Delta Pi Record., 2018
- Mordechay, K. (2018) More than just class: school mobility among Black children in the Great Recession. Urban Education. Doi: 10.177/0042085918789740, 2018
- Mordechay, K., & Ayscue, J. (2018). Policies needed to build inclusive cities and schools. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 26 (98) 1-14., 2018
- Mordechay, K. & Ayscue, J. (2017) White Growth, Persistent Segregation: Can Gentrification Become Integration?. Los Angeles, CA: Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles., 2017
- Mordechay, K. & Orfield, G. (2017). Demographic Transformation in a Policy Vacuum: The Changing Face of U.S. Metropolitan Society and Challenges for Public Schools. The Educational Forum, 81 (2), 193-203., 2017
- Mordechay, K. (2017). The Effects of the Great Recession on the School Mobility of Youth. Education and Urban Society. 50 (7), 595-616., 2017
- Gandara, P. & Mordechay, K. (2017). Demographic Change and the New (and not so new) Challenges for Latino Education. The Educational Forum, 81(2), 148-159., 2017
- Mordechay, K. (2017). High School Graduation Rates in The Great Recession: Evidence from a Large School District. The Urban Review. 49(1), 47-71, 2017