MA in Clinical Psychology with an Emphasis in Marriage & Family Therapy for Latinas/os
Addressing the Mental Health Needs of Latina/o Communities
The Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy with Latinas/os program prepares students to serve Latina/o communities. Students are admitted every fall, participating as a cohort for the 26 units of Latina/o-specific content and experiential Spanish-language development courses within the standard MFT course requirements. Latina/o-specific courses take place only at the Irvine Graduate Campus; all other courses are available at the West Los Angeles and Encino Graduate Campuses as well. This program is administered through Aliento, the Center for Latina/o Communities.
Program Length / Units
3 years / 66-72 units
West Los Angeles, Irvine*, Encino
*Latina/o specific course are only offered at the Irvine campus.
The program is designed to prepare students to work in community counseling, governmental entities, or educational settings, or to launch their own private practices, all with the aim of working with the underserved Latina/o community. The clinical training and academic preparation also equip students for doctoral programs in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, or family therapy. Additionally, this program offers course work that prepares students for licensure in both Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy (LMFT) and Licensed Professional Clinical Counseling (LPCC). As part of the program, students gain supervised counseling experience in clinical settings.
- Experiential Spanish-language development courses for beginning, as well as advanced, students
- Language immersion experience in a Spanish-speaking country
- Twenty-six units of Latina/o-specific LMFT courses
- Fulfills the academic eligibility requirements for LMFT or LPCC licensure
- Small class sizes provide an environment for faculty mentorship, close peer interaction, and lifelong professional relationships
- Award-winning faculty members who provide mentorship, as well as real-world experiences that link classroom learning to field of practice
- Extensive networking opportunities, courtesy of our alumni community network, made up of more than 20,000 professionals