Facebook pixel Satisfactory Academic Progress | Financial Aid | Pepperdine University | Graduate School of Education and Psychology Skip to main content
Pepperdine | Graduate School of Education and Psychology

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at Pepperdine University in order to remain eligible for financial aid (see Academic Catalog and individual program descriptions for details). A student is eligible to receive federal aid for as long as he/she maintains continuous enrollment at a minimum of a half-time student (i.e., 3 units each term) and meets the qualitative and quantitative requirements listed below. In addition, a student may receive aid only for courses that count toward his/her degree. Once all degree requirements have been met, he/she cannot receive further aid for that degree/program.

  • Qualitative Requirement: A student must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above.
  • Quantitative Requirements: The maximum time frame in which a student may complete a program is 7 years. Additionally, a student must demonstrate progress toward his/her degree by completing at least 67% of the total attempted units every term.

NOTE: Units for the following grades are not counted toward a student's Grade Point Average (GPA) calculation but are counted as attempted credits when calculating pace.

  • I Incomplete
  • F Failure
  • W Withdrawal
  • R Repeated classes
  • UW Unofficial Withdrawal (Including start-overs)

A student who does not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements will be placed on a warning status for the subsequent term during which he/she is still eligible for aid. If after the subsequent term the student continues to not meet all SAP requirements, he/she will be considered ineligible for financial aid. All aid due after the term in which eligibility is lost will be canceled.

If a student has been disqualified from receiving financial aid, he/she has the right to appeal by filing a petition. Petitions can only be approved if poor progress was caused by illness, a death in the immediate family, or serious hardship. The petition must include a completed Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form, a signed personal statement, with supporting documentation, and will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office. Filing a petition does not ensure approval of that petition. Petitions may be granted on condition or denied. The student is required to seek academic advisement as part of the petition process. The Financial Aid Office will notify the student of the decision, in writing. A student whose SAP petition has been approved is placed on SAP probationary status. The student must comply with the terms and conditions that are set forth in the approved petition.