Withdrawal/Leave of Absence
Taking a Leave of Absence, Withdrawing, or Dropping All Course Work
A leave of absence, withdrawal, or dropping all coursework may result in the adjustment of your financial aid. Please consult with the GSEP Financial Aid Office to review how your current and future financial aid eligibility may be affected.
Financial aid programs created by the federal government are called ''Title IV Funds'' and include the Stafford Loan and Graduate (PLUS) Loan.
Title IV funds are awarded with the understanding that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance was offered. However, should you need to take a leave of absence or withdraw, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds awarded to you. Federal law requires that the Financial Aid Office determine at what point Title IV funds will cease to be made available once your enrollment has ended, and any unearned funds will be returned to the federal financial aid program. There is no relationship between this process and how GSEP determines what you will be charged when you take a leave of absence or withdraw.
Pepperdine Grants and Scholarships
Eligibility for Pepperdine funding is dependent on full-time enrollment in regular coursework. If you withdraw or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of the trimester, your Pepperdine funding will be canceled.
Leaves of Absence or Withdrawals
If you wish to withdraw from all classes for the term or withdraw permanently from the University, you must notify their education or psychology academic advisor in writing using your Pepperdine e-mail account. Your withdrawal date will be determined as the earliest date GSEP was aware that you stopped attending classes.
Financial Aid Adjustments
The federal government provides financial aid offices with a schedule that is used to determine how much of your Title IV funds you have earned if you take a leave of absence or withdraw.
Based on the date you give notice of your leave of absence or withdrawal, the Financial Aid Office will determine what amount will be returned to the federal program. If you have completed 60% or less of a given trimester, the Financial Aid Office uses the schedule provided by the federal government to determine the refund. If you have completed more than 60% of a trimester, you are considered to have earned 100% of your Title IV funds for that trimester.
For example, if you take a leave of absence after completing 40% of a trimester, you are then eligible to keep 40% of your federal funds, and the remaining 60% of the federal funds will be returned.
The federal government requires that refunds be returned in the following order:
Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
Federal Graduate (PLUS) Loans
For more information, please contact our office at 310.568.5775 or GSEPfaid@pepperdine.edu.